The Greenlining Institute is dedicated to empowering communities of color and other disadvantaged groups through multi-ethnic leadership development. Continuing a relationship between alumni and The Greenlining Institute is imperative to the long-term vitality of The Greenlining Institute and its vision. The Greenlining Academy Alumni Association (GAAA) strives to enhance the Academy alumni network and support the development and success of Academy programs, including but not limited to the Fellowship, Summer Associate and Internship programs.
Alumni Board Members
- Hibba Meraay, Fellow 2017, GAAA Board Chair
- Daniel Cano, Fellow 2017, Professional Development Committee Chair
- Rodney Nickens, Summer Associate 2014, Professional Development Committee, Communications Chair
- Maria Perez, Summer Associate 2019, Finance Committee Chair
- Brandon McCall, Summer Associate 2011, Finance Committee
- David Huang, Fellow 2016, Finance Committee
The Alumni Board was formed in May 2001, and since then the board has launched the following initiatives to support the work of Greenlining and the leadership development of GAAA members: Mentorship, Academy Recruitment, Fundraising, Alumni Networking, Professional Development Scholarship, and our Annual Alumni Meeting and Mixer.
Alumni are one of the strongest recruitment sources for Academy programs. All alumni are encouraged to promote the various leadership development programs: the Fellowship Program, the Summer Associate Program, the Internship Program, the Legal Academy, and Casa. All of the programs are geared towards young leaders of color and promote multi-ethnic collaboration. Alumni can promote the programs within their respective college(s) as well as their professional and personal networks. If you have a candidate referral, please contact the Leadership Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When alumni give financially to the Greenlining Academy Alumni Association, they demonstrate that those who know Greenlining best value its continued work. Such support is critical to Greenlining’s ability to fundraise from foundations and corporations. As part of its role in strengthening the Greenlining Academy, the GAAA regularly asks alumni to support the GAAA, the Academy and its programs. One of our goals is to increase the number of alums that actively participate in the growth of the Academy, regardless of the amount donated. If you are interested in finding out more about the GAAA’s fundraising activities, please contact the GAAA Board at email@example.com.
To donate to the Leadership Academy, please click here, and remember that any amount you give makes a difference and is greatly appreciated!
The Greenlining Academy Alumni Association believes our greatest assets are our people. We strongly encourage alumni to build community, exchange resources, and share job opportunities online and in person. To do this, we manage a variety of online listservs, databases and groups:
- GAAA Listserv: A Google Groups email listserv where alumni can share internship and job opportunities. To join the group please click here.
- GAAA Facebook and LinkedIn Groups: These groups make it easier for you to add alumni to your professional and personal online social networks. These are more informal groups, where alumni engage in a variety of conversations, from sharing news articles to organizing in-person meetups. To join the Facebook Group, click here. To join the LinkedIn Group, click here.
- GAAA Newsletter: A quarterly newsletter with resources, alumni news and more!
- Submit a Class Note for Our Next Newsletter! Did you start a new job? Move to a new city? Have a baby? Start a blog or write a book? Let us know!
If you have any questions about alumni programming, please contact the GAAA Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
REIMBURSEMENT FOR GENERAL EXPENSES (NOT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT)
The GAAA General Reimbursement Process is meant to reimburse Alumni for expenses NOT related to scholarships.
Most reimbursements made throughout the year relate to the GAAA’s Professional Development Scholarships. Those scholarships have separate forms for approval and reimbursement (for details about Professional Development Scholarships please send us an email). The General Reimbursement form enables Alumni to get reimbursed for items such as food and drinks, supplies or travel related to Mayoral program events, Academy Informational sessions, and other one-time events or needs. This form should also be used for GAAA Board members seeking reimbursement for travel, food, and other items related to accomplishing Board business.