Event Also Marks Greenlining’s Official Farewell to Longtime President Orson Aguilar
Contact: Bruce Mirken, Greenlining Institute Media Relations Director, 510-926-4022; 415-846-7758 (cell)
OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA – The Greenlining Institute’s 26th annual Economic Summit, “Reclaiming Our Time,” happens Friday, April 26 in Oakland and features a stellar lineup. With a theme inspired by Rep. Maxine Waters’ iconic 2017 “reclaiming my time” moment, this year’s Summit will highlight the leaders — especially here in California — who refuse to stay silent in the face of injustice. Highlights include:
- An opening discussion moderated by She the People founder Aimee Alison examining how communities are “reclaiming their time” through the Me Too movement, environmental advocacy and more
- A “fireside chat” featuring acclaimed rapper, activist, producer, screenwriter and film director Boots Riley in conversation powerhouse poet and playwright Chinaka Hodge
- A luncheon awards ceremony with a keynote address by Lifetime Achievement Award recipient U.S. Rep. Barbara Lee
- In-depth panel discussions of the racial equity aspects of critical issues such as tech, transportation and banking – including a rare appearance by Aaron Glantz of Reveal, whose landmark reporting on modern redlining just won a Peabody Award and was a Pulitzer Prize finalist
- Equity Lab – a unique, interactive workshop in which participants will learn and apply practical tools for advancing racial equity
- An art sale featuring the work of local artists Dignidad Rebelde and Francis Mead
- Greenlining’s official farewell to longtime President Orson Aguilar, under whose leadership the organization grew dramatically
Each year Greenlining brings together powerful voices for change—grassroots community leaders, nationally known advocates, artists, elected officials and more—for a unique event focusing on how to build a more equitable, just society. More than a conference, Greenlining’s Economic Summit is a unique gathering where innovation, art and activism align. See Greenlining’s Economic Summit web page for detailed information on the day’s program.
Journalists wishing to attend are asked to RSVP promptly to Bruce Mirken at email@example.com.
WHAT: The Greenlining Institute’s 26th annual Economic Summit
WHO: Speakers and awardees include rapper/filmmaker Boots Riley, Rep. Barbara Lee, Dream Corps President Vien Truong, She the People founder Aimee Alison, Assemblymember Wendy Carrillo and many more.
WHEN: Friday, April 26, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (registration opens at 8)
WHERE: Oakland Marriott, Oakland City Center, 1001 Broadway, Oakland, California, 94607